Friday, December 21, 2007

Cookie Dough and Holiday Baking



As I finished a batch of iced sugar cookies AGAIN, I thought about the preparation of the first two batches that I made two weeks ago, and are now vanished.

My five-year-old granddaughter has "helped" me make cookies the past two Christmas seasons. Her two and one-half-year-old sister joined us this year. What a challenge it was to keep an eye on both of them. They had to get as close as they could to my large mixer, watching as the dough rolled in and out of the wire whip. Those little hands kept wanting to sneak into the bowl to eat yet another pinch of dough. What's with that anyway? I can still not even think about eating cookie dough. My mother preached everytime the subject of eating dough came up, of how dangerous it was to eat those raw eggs. So cookie dough is NOT for me. My daughter, however, spent time as a child making cookies with her cousin. In that household, eating cookie dough was a highly anticipated treat. She joined them, and has loved it ever since; she's passed the glee to her daughters now.

After the dough was finished, my son and daughter-in-law entered the kitchen just as I was trying to roll and cut out dough. The five-year-old was right in the middle of the scene, determined to roll dough, cut out cookies, and place them on the baking sheet--all by herself. Suddenly we realized that she was sneaking dough to her mouth, then returning her licked fingers to roll the dough. We burst out laughing. I decided to just let her do that whole tray of cookies, then when they were baked, I let her take them home with her. There was no way that I could serve those cookies to anyone else!
Marilyn

No comments: